2011/08/27

Figures of the Past, Approachable at Last

On the 31st of March Vienna finally got its own installation of „Madame Tussauds“. I had already been to the home of dozens of wax figures in London, but after hearing that the attraction would come to Austria as well I knew that I wanted to go there as soon as possible.

The building housing "Madame Tussauds" in the Wiener Prater.

However, the opening took place while I was in Greece, so I had to wait a few more months, until a few weeks ago my best friend and I finally managed to make it to the Prater where the Viennese “Madame Tussauds” is situated.


Left: Me and Maria Theresia.
Right: My friend and Napoleon Bonaparte.

In the beginning, we passed by a lot of monarchs and historical personalities, such as the Empress Maria Theresia or the famous author Karl Marx. And of course, since we’re in Austria, a wax figure of Empress Sissi (Elisabeth of Austria) had to be included as well.


What I liked most about the Austrian “Madame Tussauds” was that they had lots of requisites so you could play to the gallery by putting on a crown or holding an old-fashioned umbrella, as I am in the picture above. Maybe they have these things in London as well and I missed them when I visited a few years ago – could be possible, as I can remember that there were a lot of people filling up the rooms so you hardly had time to observe your surroundings properly ;)


The rest of the exhibition featured politicians – not only from Austria, but of course there were some figures of local personalities as well -, musicians and famous sportsmen. Furthermore, there was a room filled with ‘cultural personalities’, namely composers or artists, and a room with famous Hollywood stars, which gave the installation a more international touch.

We realized that Ghandi was actually rather small.
But I think Julia Roberts looked pretty realistic.

As a side note, I received a mug from my sister today. She and my other sister bought it in April when they went for a short holiday in England. When they asked me what they should bring for me I said I wanted a mug from the Royal Wedding, just because it's so cheesy and I somehow wanted to have one.
Actually, I was too late in voicing my wish back in April, but my sisters had taken a mug for our grandmother and forgot to give it to her, so now they said I can keep it. I'm looking forward to drinking tea from it and feeling like a crazy old lady when it's colder.


All in all, I think that the Viennese “Madame Tussauds” can definitely withstand a comparison with its ‘brother’ in London, so if you ever come to Vienna you should certainly take a stroll there! Plus, it is situated in a very nice area of the city. If one of you manages to go there, let us know what you think!

Love,
Hailey

Notes:
  1. The picture I used as a filter this time is again from DeviantArt, namely from ~-phoen-x-.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been to Madame Toussaud's in so, so long! Great photos, it looks like such fun!

    x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete