2013/10/24

Ruby Red


I finally got round to watching Rubinrot (Ruby Red), the film version of Kerstin Gier’s Precious Stone (or Gem) trilogy. I wrote a review of the books some time ago on this blog, so if you’ve never heard of it, take a look here.


I was a little skeptical about the movie at first, because, in my view, German movies often look a little unprofessional compared to Hollywood productions. (One reason for that might be the difference in budgets.)
This one, however, came pretty close to the high standards, and all the actors played their parts very convincingly as well. My favourite was probably Aunt Maddy (Katharina Thalbach) – even though the scene where she has a vision was almost a little scary!

As a short summary for those of you who don’t know the story: Gwendolyn Shepherd discovers on her 16th birthday that she has inherited her family’s time travel gene. In order to control it, she has to join a secret organisation and submit to being sent to the past, together with another time traveler, Gideon de Villiers.

Gideon de Villiers (l., played by Jannis Niewöhner) and
Gwendolyn (Maria Ehrich) meet the Count of St. Germain.

(
Picture Credit
)

What would have made the movie even better, though, would be if they had used an opener that I found online which featured similar graphics as the German book covers. Those covers were one of the reasons I liked the books at first glance, and when I saw that a group of students from a school in Austria had used them for an animation for a class project I thought it was a brilliant idea!


All in all, I was impressed by the movie and would recommend it to everyone who liked the books or is interested in time travel stories. It had good special effects, great costumes and more or less kept to the original story. It even made me like Gwendolyn more than in the books. Plus, it is set in London.
I have to agree with Sophy, though: Charlotte (Laura Berlin) does have more style than Gwen!


I, for one, am already looking forward to seeing the movie version of the second book, Sapphire Blue, which supposedly started production on October 7.

If you want to read the book first: an English version of Ruby Red was published in 2011.

Love,
Hailey

No comments:

Post a Comment